The Perfect Red Lip Duo

August 19, 2016

Finding the perfect lip for me has been quite a task. I keep experimenting with so many colours, mix and match them to find the one that matches my skin tone perfectly. I own a lot of reds but I was on the lookout for an affordable red lip combo that not only has the classic Hollywood shade but also looks good on the warm undertones of my skin. Here’s what I found that works for me and I thought I’d do tell you all about it because I’m so obsessed with this combo.
NYX Matte Lipstick in Perfect Red & Essence Lip Liner in Femme Fatale
Step 1 : Essence Lip Liner in Femme Fatale
These lip liners have already been the talk of the town for the last few years because of their price point and amazing staying power. I honestly prefer these pencil ones over the roll up ones because I like to sharpen them every time I do a red lip and get that precise line around the lips. This product is so creamy and easy to apply and I hate nothing more than having to tug my lips with dry lip pencils but one stroke does the job with this swipe. It is a nice, deep cool toned red colour and I think it looks amazing without any lipstick over it as well. I usually like to only outline the lips but if you fill in your lips with this stuff, I think you’re good to go for a good couple of hours.

Step 2 : NYX Matte Lipstick in Perfect Red
Now presenting the real star of this duo, the most creamy and pigmented red lipstick from the drugstore that I’ve used so far. No, it's not Mac's Ruby Woo but I think it's a close dupe and actually better. It has a beautiful cool toned retro red colour but also not cool enough to look strange on my skin. It’s the perfect in between and will absolutely look good on almost all skin tones.  I love the fact that it’s matte but doesn’t dry my lips out at all. I’ve worn this out for 6-8 hours and also included a meal and I love how this stayed put through a meal and a drink. The only little place that I had to touch up afterwards was the centre of the lip. It was minor compared to what I’ve experienced with some other drugstore reds which are beautiful colours but have failed to stay on my lips for longer than 2-3 hours.

Step 3 : Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer
This one is the most important step in my opinion. I use this concealer to go over the edges of my lip to clean up any uneven lines and make it look extra precise. I love this concealer because it’s highlighting and really brightens the area around my mouth. It also comes with a brush so I can directly use it without bothering to look for a lip brush etc. I keep this tube only for lipstick application and clean up the brush with a wipe after application and wash it once every few weeks. It’s such a great thing to have for on the go touch ups too.

This red duo is clearly going to be my favourite for months to come. I think this is the most versatile when it comes to skin tones as well. Autumn is on it’s way and I’ll be getting a lot more use out of it and don’t mind wearing it on every day of summer as well. 
SHOP MY FAVOURITE REDS


55 comments

  1. This really is the perfect red lip on you! I usually use a No.7 lip pencil and a Bourjois lipstick that last ages!
    Amy xx
    www.callmeamy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Oh yes, I love bourjois face products. I need to look into their lipsticks a bit more :)

      Delete
  2. Will try this quite soon! Great post and beautiful photographs!

    Love, Ina - http://theradiantcherie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful post. The red looks good!
    P.S Would you like to follow each other? Write about it on my blog.
    Blog: www.glaringwaves.blogspot.ba
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/glaringwaves

    ReplyDelete
  4. This absolutely is the perfect shade of red on you, so beautiful! Love that lipliner as well, and Essence as a brand in general!
    XO IMKE | Pastellics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! :) I agree, Essence is such good quality for such low price. I never believed it before I tried their products x

      Delete
  5. You've done such a nice application! Looks lovely on you :)
    Kathy x
    www.alongcamekathy.blogspot.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
  6. This red lip looks amazing on you, I really need to get my hands on this NYX lipstick! xx

    113-things-to-say.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! You should totally get it. It's worth it xx

      Delete
  7. Such a gorgeous shade of red and it really really suits you! I'm glad you think it'll suit all skin tones because it definitely deserves a spot on my wish list!

    Paris x
    http://lifeinflorals.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It absolutely does. Finding such shades can be tricky sometimes but I'm glad I got this xx

      Delete
    2. It absolutely does. Finding such shades can be tricky sometimes but I'm glad I got this xx

      Delete
  8. Red is perfect on you! I'm a new reader, and I must say, you're very pretty. :)

    Melissa the Mermaid ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa! Welcome to my blog :) That's very sweet of you!

      Delete
  9. That is a gorgeous red! I love the combination. I've been thinking of getting some NYX products to try out for the fall, but I have no idea which one to try out first. I've been looking at the nude colors, but I'm thinking of trying a bold color. Also, I agree that concealing around the lips helps a ton to make everything super crisp and clean. I do that all the time haha

    ~Andrea Tiffany~
    aglimpseofglam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! If you're just trying out NYX for the first time you should definitely get the buttercreams and these matte lipsticks are great. This shade would look great on you :)

      Delete
  10. It really does look perfect! I'm gonna have to try this combo and see if I like it on my lips! It's so pretty x

    www.beautiliciousd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow..you look fabulous in those red lips <3

    xoxo Eva | www.evakindles.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This colour looks amazing on you.

    www.mydailywear.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your lipstick is so pretty! That color is amazing on you and I'm totally inspired to do bright red lips today!

    http://www.districthilo.com

    Love, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW, this red lip looks amazing on you! LOVE it!

    xx, Elise
    www.sparkleandslippers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's the perfect red pout! I loove this shade !

    XoXo,

    Tamara - LoveofMode.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a great shade! I love a red lip! And the prices are great too!

    http://www.mylittlenest.org

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is so hard to find the right red! Looks like you found the perfect one to me. So lovely!

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooooh, this red lip is SO pretty, lady- thanks for sharing the how-to!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  19. The red lip looks great on you!! I love this shade too, even I don't use it so much! And that tutorial is so good! :)

    she-loves-clothes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is perfect! I was just planning out my next photoshoot (50's theme) and planning on wearing a bright lip! Thank you!!

    -Kelsie
    www.designlifediaires.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelsie! Ah, I can imagine how good a retro red like this would look with a 50s theme :)

      Delete
  21. absolutely perfect! the lip color fits your lips :)

    Love, kandice.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love me a good red lip!!! This is a big obsession. Forever :)
    Thanks for sharing your red faves, honey. I always seem to pick up a new red lipstick every season (well, maybe a little more often). Your photos & the technique of applying your lipstick so nice and clean are beautiful. I think when you go bold, you have to have that super pristine clean & defined line to pop those lips pop <3
    xox Nadia
    www.mielandmint.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nadia for your comment! I agree I always keep buying red lipsticks but then fall out of using them and move onto the next. This one seems like a keeper! xx

      Delete
  23. Interesting red shades :) I love that concealer too for brightening areas! Great post!


    www.adaydreamortwo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous reds. I can never have enough red lippies.
    stealingyoursunbeams.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love Essence lip liners! This lip duo is perfect x

    hannahsnotebook.net

    ReplyDelete

© Wildfire Charm. Design by FCD.