DIY Chokers for Spring/Summer : Six Designs

April 1, 2016

DIY-Chokers-Tutorial






































Hey Guys!
I haven't done a DIY in so long, possible never after the very beginning months of my blog but I would like to keep doing some here and there when inspiration strikes me. This one was a no brainer because I was planning on making some chokers for myself. I am obsessed with them and I love how they look with summer tops. However, finding every design can be a little difficult unless you want to order from Etsy or only stick to the tattoo choker ( which I own and love) so I decided to make my own and share it along with you, if you'd fancy making a choker yourself!

What you will need:
Velvet Ribbons
Laces
Pearl Trims
Thread
Scissors
Pins
Fabric Glue
Charms
Lapel Pin/Stud Earrings
Jump Rings
Pliers
Press Buttons

All of these six designs are "no-sew" but if you'd like to spend a little more time on them, you can go ahead and use a needle and thread to sew up the press buttons which I have used as clasps for the chokers.
1. Plain Velvet Choker: The easiest one to make. Simply cut a black velvet ribbon of your neck size and glue on some press buttons. One on the right side up and one on the underside so that the buttons can close properly around your neck. This step has to be repeated on all the chokers.
2. Pink Velvet Choker with a Charm: Pretty simple as well! Take a pin and make a hole around the centre of your ribbon. Put a jump ring and your charm through it. Close the jump ring with pliers.
3. Lace Choker with a Charm: This one is on trend right now and I've seen a lot of expensive ones being sold online while this one can be made in a fraction of the price. Basically repeat all the methods above for the pink velvet choker.
DIY-Choker-Necklaces-Tutorial
DIY Choker Charms
DIY velvet charm chokers
4. Velvet with Pearl Trim: Take a similar piece of black velvet Choker and glue on a pretty pearl trim that I found at a craft store. It gives a nice gothic, vintage vibe to it.
5. Bow Collar Choker: This one will require a piece without the press buttons because this one will be closed in the front in the form of a bow. To achieve that, you will need to make two holes on the overlapping bits of ribbon with a pin and put in a lapel pin or an old earring (like I did) It works! The rose adds a nice gothic feel to it as well.
DIY Bow Collar Choker
6.Bohemian Tassel Choker: This one is a choker that I've wanted to make for myself. Although I haven't seen something like it in the stores, I love how this one turned out and would love to pair it with some off the shoulder tops. To create a tassel, simply wrap some string around your two fingers. Tie the top part to secure it and then cut through the loop below to create a tassel. Trim it according to how big you want it. Put a jump ring in it's upper loop and attach to a lace trim.
DIY Bohemian Tassel Charm ChokerDIY Tumblr Inspired Chokers
And we're done! Which one did you like the best? Let me know in the comments below. :)
DIY-Chokers-Tumblr-inspired-grunge


86 comments

  1. Great DIY! very detailed! If I were in love with accessories, I would definitely try this one! The bohemian tassel choker is my fav among the others

    kandice.me

    ReplyDelete
  2. These chokers are amazing and so on trend for this season! Thanks for sharing. :)

    http://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute DIY, and I really love how they turned out!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    xo, Esther

    http://bubblesther.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chokers are a must have and you did such a great job here! So cutee I wish I knew how to make them x

    http://thelondonthing.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Thank you! I'm sure you can make some too, they're so easy.

      Delete
  5. These are so cute! I'll definitely be giving them a go! xx

    books-and-memories.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of these! The one with lace and the charm looks so beautiful!

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to make my own chokers too! Yours look great!

    Luxessed

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are gorgeous! I would never have thought to make my own choker but I'm totally inspired now. This was you can customise one to your style

    xx
    Lizzie | Garland Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! Making these were so fun, you need to try it.

      Delete
  9. These are great! I loved the lace one xo

    Emily | emsalice.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great DIY.
    I should try this sometime.

    The Bandwagon Chic | Instagram | Bloglovin | Snapchat: bandwagonchic

    ReplyDelete
  11. The chokers look amazing, the one with the little heart is my favourite, it looks so cute. xx

    113-things-to-say.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! Yep, everyone's getting into it right now x

      Delete
  13. obsessed with chokers!! i'm going to have to try this!!

    Xo, Alex

    http://the-fashion-brief.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. ohh,those are some really clever ways!
    looove this post
    www.kmeetsstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so going to try this DIY out, they are such cute designs!! Love this post :)
    -Hanaa Elham

    www.thehanaaedit.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much Hanna! I'm happy you liked these.

      Delete
  16. Those chokers are so cute.

    www.mydailywear.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun is this?! I love love love chokers!

    XO
    Molly
    www.trendychickadee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Molly! It was really fun making these x

      Delete
  18. Oh wow, you're so creative! I love the lace one with the pearl trip but also the velvet ones look great. I think I have all the materials to make some right now!

    Sally - DiagonSally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally! Absolutely, all I had to do was pick up some things from the craft store.

      Delete
  19. This is such a great idea. So adorable!

    Hailey
    www.themiddlecloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful post, very detailed and easy to follow! The chokers are so cute, I imagine they would look lovely with multiple outfits! Thanks for sharing!

    xxxx from Emily // diamondsanddachshunds.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily! Yep, especially with some off the shoulder ones.

      Delete
  21. So cute! Love every piece! Thanks for sharing. :)
    xx
    Mademoiselle Coconath
    http://mllecoconath.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. These DIY chokers are lovely, thanks for sharing ideas on how to create them!

    Prudence
    www.prudencepetitestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been loving DIY chokers lately too! So far I've made similar velvet versions as shown in this post, though I'm super keen to try making one of the on-trend suede tassel-wrap necklaces. Do you have any tips on how I could attach small silver ends to the two strands of suede that tie into a bow at the front? :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's lovely! I do want of those as well especially in black..I think there might some stuff at the craft store that can help you make them.Simply stitching/gluing them on is going to work as well as any store made ones.

      Delete
  24. You are so creative! I alway mean to get into chokers and then I always give up - but these are inspiring me!

    xx www.qustomquinns.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much lovely! You can definitely make one too, they're so simple :)

      Delete
  25. Cool DIY :D Thanks !

    http://clothespaper.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome post! Very talented and creative. Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful day!
    much love, Len
    http://www.lenparent.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this! Chokers are so on trend right now! I will make for myself too!!
    Happy Monday, love!
    xoxo, Vanessa
    www.WhatWouldVWear.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vanessa and good luck with making these x

      Delete
  28. These chokers look great. What a fun DIY. Thanks for sharing.

    www.livinginsteil.com
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ooh what a great post! Not so good with DIY but these sound relatively simple and I'm loving chokers at the moment! Gonna try give it a go...

    moorizZLA xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alya! :) Go try it out, really you'll make them under an hour haha x

      Delete
  30. I love this DIY! These chokers are so gorgeous!!

    http://thecourtneydiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am so not crafty but these are so lovely and I'm impressed that you did them!!! XO
    Lauren-Blair
    www.prefertobedemure.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful DIY dear! Love it!
    xx Pisa
    www.inlovewithmyclothes.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful DIY dear! Love it!
    xx Pisa
    http://www.inlovewithmyclothes.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great job, dear! I also always do such things by myself ;)

    The White Ocean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yass! Isn't it the best thing ever, to be able to make things without spending too much money? x

      Delete
  36. This is brilliant, I've been thinking about doing some jewellery DIYs recently. My favourite is the lace and locket one!

    Kirstie | Behind The Scent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kirstie! I hope you get around to making these x

      Delete
  37. Wow, such a great DIY, girlie! I love the first two especially! Thanks so much for sharing and I hope you have a lovely week ahead!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    www.thestylecontour.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jalisa! :) The velvet ones are really on trend right now x

      Delete
  38. Wow! So creative! And the end results are fabulous!
    www.streetmadonna.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jenny for your kind comment :)

      Delete
  39. wow so nice!! I like the post very much.
    http://indiarush.com/

    ReplyDelete
  40. We are so happy that chokers are back in style, they are so cute to pair with an outfit! All of them are cute but we especially love the tassled one, great DIY!

    ISA Professional

    ReplyDelete
  41. This post is sooooo cool!!! I will try!
    Thanks for sharing <3

    www.stayclassi.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. where do you buy the press buttons? i've looked everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! You can get it at any crafts supply or places where they sell sewing supplies. I typed "Press Studs" and found many links on amazon! :)

      Delete
  43. Beautiful choker & step by step tutorial. I really like it. Thanks for sharing!

    I am featuring this on my blog with my choker DIY. Have a look here :
    http://creativekhadija.com/2017/05/23-easy-tutorials-on-how-to-make-choker-necklace/

    I hope you will like it.

    Thank You
    Khadija

    ReplyDelete

© Wildfire Charm. Design by FCD.