Harry Potter and The Cursed Child : My Thoughts!

August 5, 2016

Harry Potter and The Cursed Child Review and Thoughts
It was a Sunday when the internet went into a frenzy and people ran into bookshops to get a copy of this new release by J.K.Rowling. It was an exciting time of the year. It was possibly the most exciting sunday for a Potterhead in years. Harry’s scar had not pained him in twenty two years and twenty two years ( in the wizarding world) we waited. It’s funny how things have changed for me. From being the awkward 13 year old standing in line to get a copy to waiting for my pre-booked copy to arrive from Amazon. The anticipation however was the same and I got hold of it on Tuesday afternoon ( two days late ) but still worth the wait. 50 pages in and I completely eased into the play format. The hearing of familiar names and characters and familiar phrases like “Boomslang skin and Lacewing flies” immediately rings a bell and it’s oddly comforting.  One thing J.K Rowling does so well is not be predictable.. AT ALL. The story started where it stopped back in 2007 but immediately took a different turn and pace of its own. 
The fast pace of the play is actually quite fun and refreshing and it made it that much harder to put down the book. Albus Severus, is presented as a character so different from anything I could have imagined. He’s actually not fond of Hogwarts or his father. Nor does he have any of his father’s greatness. This storyline reminds me of Snape, his own time at Hogwarts and him being a Slytherin it all fits in even better. His bravery and greatness is massively clouded by other people’s opinion of him. He is best friends with Scorpious, Malfoy’s son who becomes his friend as both feel like misfits at Hogwarts.
Harry Potter and The Cursed Child Review and Thoughts
As the story continues, things get stranger and the whole plot is shaken when they first decide to meddle with time. I love the idea of it, I always have ever since Prisoner of Azkaban but the severity of Hermione’s lines, “Awful things happen to wizards who meddle with time, Harry” only take importance now when Albus and Scorpious get up to no good. Although they had a very good intention to begin with, things start getting trickier and their bravery is tested every time they go back in time and more so, when they return back to the present. It surprised me, shocked me and had me on my toes by the time I finished Part One. I knew Part Two was going to get much, much darker and I jumped right into it. The precise moment when my heart stopped beating for quite a few seconds was the mention of “Snape” being a Hogwarts Professor again.  All I could think was, “Well Played, JKR! You are going to give us Snape again and take him away ruthlessly..again”. We do have to move on from him eventually but not without him being a hero one more time. It was exciting though and bone chilling.
Then we move onto the most interesting and final act of the book– Act Four. There’s a lot of symbolism involved here. One wrong move could not only destroy a wizarding world of peace and order but could also wipe out the existence of the entire Harry Potter series as we know it. By the time we’re here, We finally start to see the “Dumbledore” personality bits in Albus. He lives up to his name. There’s one last adventure where the whole gang is involved and more (Draco)! Wands are used and spells are shouted until the normal order is restored.We also experience a few deaths over the course of the book, in accurate JK Rowling fashion. It doesn’t occur to me even once that they’re in their forties. It’s almost like being back in the time when they were students again. I don’t know if this is the last we will hear of Potter. This is probably goodbye, and it was a bloody,good one at that.
I know a little part of me(and everyone else reading with me) always wondered if this book would live up to the greatness of the Harry Potter series. It did come close. Thank Dumbledore, for that!

43 comments

  1. I've always wondered what is this book about, and really the play concept is a bit surprising. Thanks for the review :)

    Oh Dear Bumblebees

    ReplyDelete
  2. i must read this!!! :)

    kandice.me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I guess I should read this book, it seems amazing! And btw - your blog is amazing, girl - keep it up! :)


    Love, Ina ♡ http://theradiantcherie.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!! I'm so excited to read this book!! I loved this post, really! Thanks for sharing, the book seems more amazing now :)

    she-loves-clothes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read this but I honestly don't know how I'll feel about it. I've read a lot of negative reviews and apparently a lot of hardcore HP fans have been disappointed by the book. Then again, there are the positive reviews that give me hope haha.

    www.saarasofia.com | Bloglovin’ 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah..it's been a mixed response but to be honest I'm okay if it's not as good as a HP book because its different and it wasn't meant to be like that.

      Delete
  6. I just got the book this week and can't wait to read it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book. I know what to sort of expect now..

    I write Mademoiselle Meets Maquillage and Macaroons and I would love for you to give it a read, maybe we can follow each other on social media?

    www.mademoisellemeetsmaquillageandmacaroons.com

    Deepti xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't sure I'd get on well with the play format, but I'll give it a go and see how I get on! I mean, I feel I HAVE to haha!

    Emily // Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I mean I just had to. But I enjoyed it so it's all good :)

      Delete
  8. I'm such a fan of Harry Potter series. I can't wait to get hold of this book even though a play format doesn't really appeal to me.

    www.mydailywear.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree but give it a read if you'd like. It's going to be different for sure but good different! :)

      Delete
  9. I loved reading this review! I have been so curious how it was and have been holding off on purchasing it myself but you've inspired me to give it a go!
    www.sprinklesandsaturdays.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Go ahead give it a read and I'd love to know what you think of it :)

      Delete
  10. Oh my goodness, I am so excited to read this book, but I don't want it to be over!
    April xx

    | APRIL ROSE PENGILLY |

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, absolutely how I felt too. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  11. I'm a big fan of Harry Potter! ;) Adore both books and films! Thank you for such interesting post!

    http://julianacheva.blogspot.bg/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the review :)

    http://clothespaper.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still haven't read the book but it sure sounds freaking amazing. To be honest, everything sounds amazing to me if it involves HP, haha.

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha absolutely agree with that. This book was all about the nostalgia x

      Delete
  14. I am with you on that Harry Potter obsession! It's so nice how it's all coming back. I remember being so into the series years ago! My sister bought the book right when it hit the stores, I am about to start reading it now too. I liked reading your review first though, as I like to have a brief understanding of what to expect first haha

    ~Andrea Tiffany~
    aglimpseofglam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yess! I was absolutely crazy about the series when it first came out a well. I loved this book because anything with Harry Potter in it is awesome to me. Haha! Thanks Andrea :)

      Delete
  15. I am a huuuge Harry Potter fan and can't wait to read this book! Sounds amazing! Thank you so much for sharing! X

    www.britishmilan.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beatrice! I hope you enjoy it as well :)

      Delete
  16. Ooh, I've heard mixed reviews but I'm looking forward to reading this myself over the summer. Was going to hold out until I saw the play, but avoiding spoilers is pretty much impossible! :D

    Charlotte
    www.talkstageytome.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard some mixed reviews too but personally I loved it because it's a different format and wasn't meant to be like the series. A good read nontheless :)

      Delete
  17. This sounds like an amazing read! Great review, lady!

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great review, I still need to buy this book! Would love if you could check out my new post? XX

    The Fashion Road
    Instagram @louisefrancescaa

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing, girlie! I've never really got into Harry Potter, so I have no clue about any of it, haha! Thanks for sharing some details here and I hope you have a great week ahead!

    XO,

    Jalisa
    www.thestylecontour.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Oh well, I don't know if this book is going to make sense to you then but I hope you read the series someday. It will change your life.x

      Delete
  20. Im so curious about it!!! Honestly, I did not finish the other books... just watched the movies!
    So, I would not be able to read this one,,,
    xoxo

    Ileana

    Novelstyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you've watched the movies and know the general story then maybe you'll be able to follow this too. It was a fast read tbh :)

      Delete

© Wildfire Charm. Design by FCD.