How I did my makeup in High School Challenge

October 26, 2016

This tag has been doing it's rounds on youtube lately and I instantly wanted to be a part of it because I'm all about "throwback anything". However, I didn't think I could actually get hold of all the products and their original packaging so I thought I'd just share them here with you!

15-16 is when I actually started discovering makeup, watching Elle and Blair videos on Youtube and slowly getting into the swing of things. That's quite late compared to a lot of people who I know have been wearing makeup since 13-14 but I guess I wasn't that sassy ( yet!). I was in high school mainly the last two years when I started wearing a lot of makeup and basically loved waking up to do my makeup even though it meant I had to be up by 6 am because my classes started super early back then. Being a college student, I certainly prefer the extra 5 minutes of lie-in time now though.

My first foundation was the Dream Matte Mousse by Maybelline and I'm actually quite surprised to know that majority of the people used this as well. It was not the best in terms of coverage or even staying power. It was a different texture and I thought since it wasn't a liquid, it would make me look more natural. I used the Maxfactor Pan Stick as a concealor for my under eyes. I strongly believed and perhaps even preached (oops) that base products with more coverage were for the under eyes so that's what I would use every single day. I've had bad under-eye circles for as long as I can remember so I think my first step into the makeup world was to learn how to cover those bad boys up. Unfortunately they always creased on me. Rimmel Stay Matte was my everyday powder and something I would actually use even without anything under it because I was always so freakin oily and this was the cheapest, most amazing powder I had discovered back then.
How I did my makeup in high school challenge


It's funny to know that people hadn't discovered brows back then which is totally the opposite for me. I've seen my mom do her brows for ages and ages and a brow pencil is one of the first makeup items I started using. However, I used to use a super black colour which really made me look like a mess and was too dark for me because I would use it with a very heavy hand. My favourite eyeliner was the Maybelline gel liner which I repurchased this year and it's safe to say that it was one great choice I made back then. I would apply it real thick on my upper lash line, lower lash line and waterline and it literally made my small eyes look even smaller but I loved how long it stayed. I had 12 hour days often and only my eyeliner looked decent by the end of it. I didn't use any mascara so I always looked like I didn't have any eyelashes ( Oh dear!). I was always too afraid to use mascara on my eyes. The thought scared for a long time before I became an addict.

I was not a big lip colour gal back then which is quite shocking to the present-day-me because I probably own more lipsticks than anything in my collection. I loved using these little tubs of Body Shop lip balms and the flavour I loved the most was called "Watermelon". It smelled and tasted amazing and it was so creamy that I would have to reapply it every hour. 

The last two face products I used were the NYX Body bronzer in Molokai! I loved this shade and the packaging was Hawaiian themed and I remember having this for 2-3 years at least before I hit pan. The shade was a warm brown and actually looked great on my skin but I would put it all over my face which I can't say was a great decision. I believe they've come out with these body bronzers again this year in different packaging and shades and I actually plan to get one soon because it was such a favourite. I also didn't shy away from going all crazy about the Mousse foundation's little brother, the mousse blush. I had this bright, fuschia pink shade which I would generously apply on my cheeks with my fingers - giving me the absolute clown face especially because I already have red cheeks which the foundation was obviously not covering up.

My makeup bag back then was pretty crazy. I also had a blue/green eyeliner on the waterline phase but it was short lived. This remained my go-to look for most of those 2 years. Now that I think of it, I would totally still repurchase the powder, bronzer and eyeliner because they were some great drugstore products but then again some of the others were absolute disasters. Haha, hopefully I've come a long way since then :P What was your favourite product from your high school makeup bag?

37 comments

  1. So cute! I never used to wear makeup at school but if I did, this is how I would ;)

    Love from London,
    Whit

    http://www.whitneyswonderland.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful and lovely.
    https://glaringwaves.blogspot.ba/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Love it!

    http://curlyjosephine.blogspot.ba/

    ReplyDelete
  4. These all look like amazing products. Thanks for sharing them. Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy seeing this tag because it brings back so many memories and I loved seeing all of the different ways in which people used to do their make-up. I swore by the Maybelline Matte Mousse too, as well as a cover up stick which I got from Boots. I also used to wear heavy black eyeshadow when I was going through my Goth phase, haha! - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tasha!! I never had a goth phase but I remember it was everywhere xx

      Delete
  6. I had a blue/green eyeliner phase too! I love this tag - I swear people these days manage much better than we did to do their makeup well because of YouTube tutorials etc!
    Amy xx
    www.callmeamy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! The makeup tutorials I watched were also not like anything we have today. Very simple and probably bad quality haha x

      Delete
  7. I never wore make up at school. You used some great products.

    www.mydailywear.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybelline was such a good brand when I was in school! I also used their products.
    My makeup has changed so much now but I'm still in love with black eyeliner ♥

    www.heresometimes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! It's still my favourite drugstore brand to be honest xx

      Delete
  9. That was about the look of my makeup routine too! Fun read dear :)

    xo, mikéla / simplydavelyn.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like all of these especially Rimmel Stay matte :) Great post dear <3

    www.beautiliciousd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybelline was my favourite when I was in school. Love this post!
    xo
    Siffat
    http://icingandglitter.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, I totally used the Dream Matte Mousse, too! :)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't know that this was a thing that was circulating! Fun read! Oh boy...I don't even wanna think about my high school make-up, ha! XO
    Lauren-Blair
    www.gracerock-kellyroll.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a fun challenge! I definitely was not good at doing my makeup in high school.


    Xx
    Molly
    www.trendychickadee.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are pretty much the same products I used too!They are great! =)


    - Cielo
    Mermaid in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  16. At least you started makeup while watching some videos to get some sense of advice! When I started wearing makeup I was 12 and basically playing with makeup with my friends. I wasn't bad at the face makeup part (mainly because at that age my skin was pretty much near perfect still) but the whole eyeliner part oh dear. I was also too scared of mascara, but I went to town on purple eyeshadow and black liner on my waterline and tightline. But I also remember how I totally went onboard with the cat eye look before others did! It's great how you were able to discover some awesome products from way back!

    ~Andrea Tiffany~
    aglimpseofglam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, this comment cracked me up Andrea! Lol the video watching part wasn't very helpful though. Not at that age hahax

      Delete
  17. Amazing post! Love your blog. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Much love , Len
    http://www.lenparent.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I love your blog so much too x

      Delete
  18. Such a great post ! very interesting !
    I was using a pencil too to make up my eyes in high school.
    It was not really great.
    xx,
    Margot
    https://troughthepasturesofthesky.com/

    ReplyDelete

© Wildfire Charm. Design by FCD.