How to be trendy and still keep it personal

October 16, 2016

Gingham cami top with tshirt 90s trend outfit
Gingham slip top with tshirt 90s trend outfit
Gingham cami top with tshirt 90s trend outfit
(Slip Top - Dorothy Perkins ( on sale now) | White Tshirt - Old, Similar HERE | Knee Ripped Jeans - New Look , Similar HERE | Ballet Flats - Forever 21, Similar HERE | Mini Backpack - Forever 21)

Hey guys!
Have you ever looked at an outfit online/on the mannequin and thought damn, that looks good ? After you actually try it on, it never ends up looking just as good. I'm sure it has happened to you at some point and happens to me on the regular. Every store is full of 90s trends that I love and adore but I am a little skeptical if they'd look just as good on me. Like a metallic slip dress on a tshirt with some knee high boots..I have been lusting after that look for a while now only to realize even if I ever bought it, it would never see the light of day. So here's how I tackled being trendy but still keeping it wearable so that it confirms to my personal style.

I knew I had to get this slip top from Dorothy Perkins the minute I spotted it because my life's mantra is "Everything gingham needs to get in my closet" more often than not. I loved the fact that it is a slip top so I could finally try out the slip top on tshirt trend and the peplum was just a bonus! I paired these with some ripped jeans, replaced the knee high boots with my trusty black ballet flats and accessorized with my new favourite, mini backpack from Forever 21.

If you're really interested in trying a new trend but feeling a little conscious about it, I've got a few tips for you:

1.Experiment with one piece of clothing at a time and not go straight into recreating an outfit you saw on Pinterest/Instagram.

2.Choose a piece that would most definitely suit your style and body shape. A peplum is definitely something I'd prefer over a super skin tight slip top.

3.Adding most worn/safe  pieces in a new daring outfit can make you feel so much more confident about wearing it.

4. Choose colours and prints that naturally go with the rest of your wardrobe and something that will mix well with the other pieces you have. Sure, getting that sparkly pink metallic slip dress is so tempting but sometimes you've got to hold it off.

And that's it! That's how I got this look together and felt pretty comfortable and confident in it all day. I know I'm going to be wearing it a lot more!
Gingham cami top with tshirt 90s trend outfit
PS: I was having such a good hair day before the wind came and turned it into this...
Forever 21 mini faux leather backpack
 Oh well...
Gingham peplum cami top with tshirt
Gingham cami top with tshirt 90s trend outfit
Gingham top with ripped jeans and ballet flats
SHOP THIS LOOK


61 comments

  1. Loving this post, especially your top!

    Anika | anikamay.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your tips. It's really important to know what suits our body. Trends are not for everyone.

    www.mydailywear.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. love how you layered the gingham tank with the tee!

    http://heyprettything.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute, I love the layering! I still need to try this type of look
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute and stylish look. Just love i.
    https://glaringwaves.blogspot.ba/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything gingham too, this top is lovely! Great tips, I definitely agree incoorporating one piece into an outfit rather than going all out is a safe way to adapt trends!
    Amy xx
    www.callmeamy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeess! This looks so good, you pulled it off really well

    Jacqui | Jaqventures

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a lovely outfit! I love how you layered that peplum top with the Tshirt, it looks really youthful and fun! :D

    http://thewonderfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely outfit and love the layering! x

    Face to Curls | http://facetocurls.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You nailed it! Your look is totally on point without copying!
    Kira
    Kira Is Wearing
    Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely outfit!! I loved how you paired the pieces <3 you look so pretty and flawless! Loved the tips too :)

    she-loves-clothes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great styling tips here and you look wonderful. Love how you layered the tops. :)

    http://missymayification.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this outfit -the gingham peplum top is so cute and I love how you styled it!
    Thanks for sharing your tips too -I definitely agree with experimenting one piece at a time!
    Julia x
    http://www.thevelvetrunway.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That top is the cutest and I love how you have styled it :)

    http://ohduckydarling.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely adore this outfit & your tips, lovely. I would pick up this gingham top in a heartbeat as well!! Love your mantra ;) Sparkly pink metallic slip dress does sound super tempting but then again... it would probably only be worn once for a photo shoot :) Loved the post, babe.
    xox Nadia
    www.mielandmint.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your top is adorable, so cute!! I have a dress with exactly the same print and I love wearing it in summer! :)

    Yiota
    PinkDaisyLoves

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw this is such a super cute and trendy outfit girl!

    Isobel x

    Latest post: https://goo.gl/yEQsqE
    Latest Video: https://goo.gl/h1wuqJ
    Insta: https://goo.gl/WGxKx2
    Bloglovin: https://goo.gl/EG8OQW

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've noticed the trend of wearing slip dresses over tees, but I haven't seen this done with cami tops. It looks great! :D -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the gingham cami top and you look great on it :)

    xoxo Eva | www.evakindles.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post!!! would you like to follow each other's blog dear? Please let me know, I am following you now.thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful outfit! Looks very nice!
    www.recklessdiary.ru

    ReplyDelete
  22. that top is just so cute.

    Wendee//theglossychic.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the lovely tips girl! I definitely love trying out new trends but sometimes it just isn't the right look for me so it really is about trial and error. I'll definitely keep these tips in to consideration next time I try a new trend.

    xoxo
    www.atsunamatsui.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I experienced such a thing too the other day - there was this maxi skirt that looked amazing on the mannequin, but horrible on me! I never really stick to trends anymore and tend to go with my own flow, and that experience kind of reminded me of that.

    Lizzie Bee // mysticthorn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzie! I absolutely agree, I also consider every item before letting it into my wardrobe because I've had so many places just lying around because I bought them on a whim and they never looked good on me.

      Delete
  25. You look really cozy anch charming in this outfit :)

    xoxo
    www.bellezzefelici.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really nice outfit! Love it !

    xx

    http://wall-s-tyle.com

    ReplyDelete

© Wildfire Charm. Design by FCD.